Sunday, August 15, 2010

The proof is in the pudding: CORN pudding

It is no secret to readers of this blog that Annalena is not a fan of corn. So, too, is it no secret that her better half, Guy, LOVES corn. So, as summer peaks and wanes slightly, and corn is everywhere, Annalena thinks "how can I pull this off?" Guy would never ask for corn, and I would feel guilty if I didn't serve it. Always looking for some new way of doing it, I turn to the family of corn puddings.

There are many of these. I think for some people, they are a regular part of the thanksgiving dinner table, made with frozen corn (as was the recipe I give you below, until I changed it to fresh). There are many different things people add to them: ham, peppers, cheese, all come to mind as additives I have had. All are wonderful.

But, let's face it: when you want corn, you want CORN, don't you? Well, here's one to satisfy you. It even satisfied me.

I will tell you that this ain't gonna be a dieter's delight. Make something simple to go with it. I think a simple grilled steak is a right choice, making it with eggplant parmagiana is not. Let's get to work.

You need about 4 cups of corn kernels. You can buy the frozen stuff, but as I write this, every farmer in the immediate world is selling corn. So buy some and get the kernels off the cobs. The way I do it is to break the cob in half and then run a small, sharp knife down the pieces. Then take the back of your knife and rub it against the cob, to get that wonderful, sweet, corn milk out. You will probably need more than four, and maybe as many as 8, ears of corn to get the four cups. If you have too much.... freeze it. Split this now, into two, two cup portions.

Put half of the corn into a food processor, together with four large eggs, a cup of cream, a half a cup of whole milk, 1/2 stick of softened, unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons of flour and a teaspoon of salt. (I am leaving out the sugar from this). Process it until the stuff is nice and fine. You will never get a completely smooth product, the kernels are too tough for that, but you will get something akin to creamed corn. Now, take the paper from the butter stick, and butter an 8 inch baking dish. Stay away from metal ones: use glass or ceramic. Take the corn that you did not process, pour it into the processed stuff, and then pour the whole mass into that prepped baking dish. Put the whole thing on a baking tray, and bake at a 350 degree heat, for at least 45 minutes. My recipe said 45 minutes but when I checked, I had mush. I let it bake for 30 minutes more, and had an incredibly soft, airy souffle like pudding. And it tasted GOOD, the way corn is supposed to taste.

While it's "as high as an elephant's eye," and if you're looking for something new to do with corn, here it is. Try it. Even an unabashed NON fan of corn liked it. I think you will too

1 comment:

Autumn Trumble said...

Hi! A couple of your friends came into Burgess Cellars, the winery where I work, and recommended your blog to me. This recipe sounds delicious! It reminds me of a dish my friends mom makes. She grates fresh corn into a buttered baking dish, adds enough water or stock to make it soupy, a few tabs of butter and bakes it down until it has caramelized and thickened, the end result is something akin to fresh polenta. De-Lish! I've very recently started a baking blog and I hope to be able to stick with it as long as you have, impressive! All the best!