Sunday, October 17, 2010

Annalena learns a new vegetable: parsley root

Every now and then, I will see something that makes me sit back and say "Hmmm. Maybe." I'm talking COOKING here folks. Maybe other things too, but in this context, just cooking.

This happened to me this week. We were channel flipping, somewhat desultorily, and we happened on that cooking show, "Chopped."

I have to be honest, I really hate that show. You know the premise: the mystery basket, and make an appetizer/entree/first course, from an impossible group of ingredients. Sometimes it's fun to think "what would I do," but most times it's just like some of those exercises that the gym teachers in grade school used to give you: they are just being MEAN. And I cannot believe that some of these people are doing this... for WHAT? The top prize is 10,000., but is it really worth it for the humiliation? I saw chefs from two restaurants I know, go down in flames on the show we watched. Now, what do I do, say something, not say something? UGH.

Well, anyway, one of the ingredients on the show was parsley root. I will admit that I have seen this in the farmers market for years, and because it looks an awful lot like the dreaded parsnip, I have stayed away from it.

The dreaded parsnip? Yes, the dreaded parsnip. I dislike parsnips perhaps even more than brussel sprouts. No, not perhaps. MUCH more. So, based on looks, and of course, not knowing what to do with them, I left them alone.

Anyway, on the show, one of the cooks turned them into this incredibly white, beautiful puree that the judges were clearly enjoying. It looked so pretty.

Sort of like the beet and walnut pie I made that was just AWFUL. But, the thought was in my mind. I mean, if they were bad, I could just get rid of them.

Well, they weren't. Here's how I cooked them. But first... make sure you have parley root, and not parsnips. Smell them. Parsnips have an unmistakeable, almost rank odor. Parsley root just smells clean. Get medium sized roots (they'll look like white soup carrots), because you're gonna cut them down for this recipe. Start with about a pound, which for me was three good sized roots.

When you get them home, pare 'em, as if they were carrots (or parsnips, if you're so inclined), and then chop them into even sized bits. For the end bits, where they are narrow, this means just a cut or two. Up at the top, where they get REALLY thick, they will need to be diced a bit. Just go for evenness. Then, put them in a pot of cold water with some salt. Use lots of water, and a nice amount of salt. Bring them to a boil, and cook at medium heat, for awhile. Yeah, "awhile." No way of telling how long it's gonna take. I needed a good 45 minutes. You want them to be tender, but not so soft that you've got "moosh" in the pot. when they're at the right texture, scoop out about 2/3 of a cup of the water, and drain them. Put them back in the pot, and add about a half cup of milk and a good slug of butter. Just heat that until the butter melts.

Now, move the whole thing, together with the water, into a blender. If you have a "puree" button on the blender, this is the one you want. If you don't, use the highest speed you have. You will probably get a good amount of pureeing, and then nothing. That's why you have the milk bottle at your side. Add some more, in small amounts - no more than a quarter cup at a time - until you get a nice smooth and thick puree. Taste it. See if the texture is what you want. There are no "rules" for this, so if you like it softer and runnier, add lots of milk. If you like it chunkier, don't puree as much. Do get it smooth enough so you can pour it off though.

To my taste, there's a slight spiciness and nuttiness, and just the hint of a parsley flavor, and they look a whole lot like "mashed potatoes for grown ups."

As it happens, last night, when eating at "I trulli," there were pan seared scallops on a bed of parsnip puree. There wasn't too much of the puree, so I was fine. BUT... Annalena is going to make those scallops this week, substituting the parsley root puree for the parsnips.

Give it a try. I think you may find, as I did, that you can become friends with a new veggie, and expand your horizons.

No comments: