Sunday, February 20, 2011

Flexing the mussels: with coconut milk, and lime

Well, here I am again, not just having survived, but THRIVED at my new job. There is a line in one of Annalena's favorite movies "The Tale of Innocent Erendira," based on the novella by Gabriel Garcia Marquez starring Irene Pappas (you MUST see it. You MUST read it). I'm leaving out much, but there is a moment when our hero , Erendira, after a horrible early life, looks down and says "I'm happy. I'm happy." Well, Annalena said this once, nearly 17 years ago, when she moved from job number one, to job number two. She did NOT say it at the last one, but she said it this time. She's happy. She's happy. And she has access to this blog from work so, perhaps there will be more frequent updates.

And now, to the latest one, which is a very quick, lovely meal, using mussels. I last wrote about these nearly three years ago and said "I really should use them more often." I should follow my own advice. I see them at the fish monger every week, and every week, I pass them up. Why? Who knows. Well, this week was different. Again, it was the coming together of several factors. Tonight is a dinner party, where I am serving my annual cassoulet. Let's not even begin to talk about the calories and fat in that meal. "Small portions" isn't even going to work. The only way to control the calories in this dish is to NOT EAT IT. But you have to do have it once in a while. And this is our once in a while.

So I wanted a low calorie lunch. I was not quite sure what, but then, on one of those athletic magazine web sites, which sends the Guyman about seven different emails a day, there was a column on fish for health. Annalena read it. After passing over the recipes for fish she does not like, like sardines, and fish that is out of season , like tuna, she found these. And they are good. And know what? This is a very low calorie dish. Even if you eat every last scrap of your portion, you will have consumed, maybe, 400 calories. And you will be full. Now, if you add bread or pasta or something like that, you will have to up the calories, but that's your call.

And I must say, this is a very fast meal to prepare. Here we go. I'm giving you a recipe that made two, very large portions. Reduce the servings accordingly, depending on your appetite.

You need a can of low fat coconut milk. Also, two pounds of mushrooms and two limes. I happened to have rangpur limes around, courtesy of Citrus Bomb Kim (at this point my friend David is saying "of course you did"), but if you have regular limes, fine. You might also use a stalk of lemon grass. If you use that, don't do what I did, which was to try to steep the flavor into the coconut milk. The dish is ready too quckly for that. Rather, pound the base of the lemon grass until it breaks, then chop it fine, and use it for a garnish at the end.

Here's the prep and the dish. And you'll be done in less than ten minutes. Pour the contents of the can of coconut milk into a large pot. Add a scant teaspoon of salt. Turn the heat to medium, and when the coconut milk is heating, put the mussels into a colander, and wash them quickly. When the coconut milk comes to a simmer, squeeze one lime into it, and then add the mussels. Cover the pot, and cook for two minutes.

Yes, I said two minutes. The mussels will all have opened. Use a slotted spoon, and move them, shell and all, to two bowls. Squeeze the second lime over the coconut milk broth in the bowl, and pour it over the mussels.

Have some serious napkins ready as you eat this, and a "trash bowl" for the shells. You'll need it.

And if you don't believe me on the calories, go look them up. That's what I did. And I will try to remember that as I tuck into my duck confit tonight.

No comments: