Sunday, August 17, 2008

Questions and Answers

WEll, this is something that I never considered doing. But let's try it, ok?
My friend Lou had suggested that I should have a question and answer page, for people to write in with their cooking questions, and I will answer them.
I hadn't considered it for a couple of reasons. First, I don't know how to set up a page like that within the blog. If anyone would like to take on the challenge, it is all yours.

But the more fundamental reason is, I'm not at all certain that I know enough to answer questions. Or that people will ask them . So I checked around. And people said I should do it. So, ok, here it is, at least for now, until I learn how to do this in a different format. If you have a question, send it in and I will do my best to give you an answer.

And we will start with Lou's question. I will paraphrase it slightly, only because I don't have the text of his email:

At the end of one of those horrible workdays, I was buying vermouth so that I could have a martini night. The wine merchant told me he loves vermouth , and uses it in place of white wine when he's cooking. Have you ever done that? Can someone do that?

Now this is a "softball" question for Annalena. I love vermouth. I do NOT love it in drinks, but I do love it in cooking. Vermouth - and I need to make sure that you all k now I'm talking about DRY vermouth - not the red sweet ones like cinzano and that kind of drink - is an excellent help in the kitchen, if you know what it is, and how to use it.

To me, vermouth is essentially a fortified, dry white wine, with an herbal infusion. And every vermouth maker has a different proprietary blend of herbs that they use to make their vermouth. So you do have to shop around for one you like. Some are more citrussy than others, and others more herbal. Some are very straightforward and strong, others make you work to taste them. So buy some small bottles of different brands, and taste.

In cooking, you CAN use vermouth anywhere you use white wine; however, keep that herbal/citrussy comment in mind. If I am cooking something that has a high, herbal profile in it, then I will reach for the vermouth when I'm deglazing or making risotto, for example. If I'm deglazing after chicken cacciatore, I will use it, but if I'm making a poached chicken breast where the sauce is a mild butter and cream emulsion, I'll stick to white wine.

The other thing to keep in mind with vermouth is that it has a very high alcohol content. So when I had vermouth to a hot pan, I take the pan off of the heat. Flare up is not uncommon with high alcohol content liquids. All you need is a stray drop to hit the flame and you're either freaking out and running from the kitchen, or you're feeling like a true professional. Me? I'd rather play it safe.

So, there it is. A good question. You probably have a little vermouth in your cupboard somewhere. Try it.

Next question?

No comments: