Thursday, November 15, 2007

And what of the week?

Well, sitting back and looking at the past week in the kitchen, I had a wonderful time. I'm quoting from the farmers' market list from last week:

And what of next week? Well, today at the market I picked up some leeks, a whole bunch of the end of the season heirloom tomatoes, which are a little underripe, one of those wonderful hybrids of cauliflower and broccoli, a "romesco", some carrots, two butternut squashes, a red cabbage.and a handful of Portuguese hot peppers. And what of them?


Indeed, what of them? Well, this was a week where schedules were all over the place. Neither of us had our regular Monday engagements, so we had fish night on Monday. I made the stuffed flounder I talked about in the piece on the Karlins, and Romesco with golden cauliflower, something that I picked up on Monday, because "I just couldn't resist it." After steaming it, and adding a little olive oil, it was perfect with the fish. And of course, salad.

Tuesday I had a make up Italian class, so I was home late. That night, we ate the butternut squash pasta casserole I talked about in the blog on my buddy Peter, with leftover romesco and cauliflower, because there was SO MUCH LEFT OVER (yes, from this blog, I'm trying to teach myself to use leftovers again).

Guy sang on Wednesday, so I served the garlic soup, with spinach that I picked up on Saturday, together with a GREAT pizza with the leeks, olives and mozzarella instead of romano. Really and truly great.

And Thursday night was as fun as I thought it would be: lamb chops, with a pomegranate glaze, and sweet and sour cabbage and the stuffed tomatoes, all of which I described below.

No, I didn't use everything. T here's a leftover butternut squash, and my carrots, and the hot peppers. I'm looking at carrot soup perhaps, or maybe that variation of vichyssoise with carrots. Not quite sure.

There's some heavy duty cooking going on this weekend, as we have our final monthly dinner on Sunday, and then the week after, the thanksgiving fete.

Of things to come: well, my workbuddy Sue has asked me to write about beets, and so it will be. I'll be posting a story about a man who I'm now realizing was very important in my life, my grandfather. A little piece on my friend Carol, who's coming to dinner on Sunday. And... there's a three pound box of chanterelle mushrooms in the fridge right now. If you like mushrooms, there is nothing like them. More evidence of "start with good, and you get good."

Stay tuned if you like.

No comments: